1. Take small regular cups of coffee
To enjoy your coffee and get the most from your caffeine kick, consume coffee in frequent small amounts instead of taking it in a single big mug. Chris Chatham, a neuroscientist, recommends taking about 20mg to 200mg of caffeine each hour to get a good mental boost. Therefore, if you want to improve your focus, reduce headaches, and increase mental alertness, increase your servings and reduce your portions.
2. The best time to drink coffee
Your body produces cortisol, a vital hormone in determining the best time to drink and enjoy coffee. Cortisol is produced when you are feeling anxious or stressed. This hormone is essential to the body as it alerts you to stop an activity causing you excessive stress or strain. For the average human, there are specific times during the day when the levels of cortisol peak. These include:
- 8 am to 9 am
- 12pm to 1pm
- 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
It will be best to avoid drinking coffee during these peak times since caffeine may trigger small amounts of cortisol.
3. Make the most out of your day with caffeine naps
Generally, most individuals believe that you should avoid caffeine to get good sleep. But perhaps one of the latest great inventions is consuming coffee and taking a power nap. While it goes against the general rule, the results are impeccable.
It is worth mentioning that taking coffee before you sleep is only a good idea during the day as it may be the groggy solution you did not know you needed. It works during the day since you only need to take a quick nap. It will be best that you avoid consuming coffee before bedtime.
Here is how to make the most out of your day with caffeine naps.
- If you feel tired during the day, consume a cup of coffee, then set a twenty-minute alarm and take a nap. Doing so allows the caffeine sufficient time to release all its full effects as it kicks in, in your body. When you awake from your nap, you will feel energized and alert. All the grogginess you were feeling earlier will be gone.
This tip can also serve as the perfect tip for taking a break when doing a long-distance drive. It would be best and safer to do this at a service station.
4. Enjoying coffee through the day without getting dehydrated
The best way to enjoy your coffee all day long is to ensure you are keeping yourself hydrated. Caffeine is a diuretic that increases the amount of water your body expels. As a result, your body can become dehydrated if you only drink caffeinated drinks.
Most people rarely have a clue when they are dehydrated because they are consuming too much caffeine. Below are a few symptoms that will let you know you are dehydrated:
- Extreme thirst
- Dry mouth and eyes
- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
5. Avoid drinking coffee on an empty stomach
One of the best ways to enjoy drinking coffee and make the most out of it is to avoid taking it on an empty stomach. So, ensure that you do not replace your breakfast with coffee.
When you take coffee on an empty stomach, it can cause damage to your stomach lining. It also causes heartburn and indigestion. Therefore, it will be best to avoid this habit.
If you want to enjoy taking your coffee in the morning, ensure that you take it with a full breakfast.
6. Make sure your coffee is always fresh
Most individuals are not aware that the best way to drink and enjoy their coffee is when it’s still fresh. Have you ever questioned the reason behind people’s hype for coffee? Did you finally give in to the hype but then find the coffee to be highly underwhelming?
Well, this is not uncommon. However, there is a perfect explanation.
The shelf life of coffee may be questionable as some brands claim theirs lasts for weeks while others say theirs lasts for months. Luckily, to determine if your coffee is fresh, there are things to look out for.
Your coffee beans are likely stale if they have no aroma and lack flavor. To get the whole flavor experience, ensure you only buy freshly roasted coffee. But how will you know that the coffee you are buying is fresh?
For starters, you can find a local roaster who handles the roast beans themselves as they will likely roast them in small batches, meaning they will be offering fresh grounds. You could also buy your coffee from a reputable supplier who only offers fresh speciality coffee.
How you store your coffee matters because it will go stale quickly if not kept well. Use the listed tips to store your coffee:
- Store it in a cool and dry area
- Ensure the container you store it in is airtight
- Keep away from direct sunlight
7. Experiment with brewing methods to make the most out of your coffee
There are different brewing methods, and when you experiment, you will realize that your coffee tastes different with each technique. Below are some brewing methods you should try.
- Espresso machine: While this is often used in cafes, you can still use it at home for espresso shots and professional results.
- Cafetiere: This method is commonly known as the French press. It is pretty popular for high-quality and quick brewing.
- Stovetop espresso maker: If you want to brew a strong and rich cup, this is the authentic Italian way to do it.
- Aeropress: This method is fast and uses pressure to brew the coffee.
- Hairo V60 Drip coffee maker: You can make a rich flavourful brew with this method, although it is slightly slower as the coffee is made from the hot water dripping through the grounds.
- Chemex: This method is similar to Hairo V60 as its water also drips through the coffee grounds to make the brew.
Different types of coffees are well suited for specific different brewing methods. Therefore, try other techniques to make the most out of your blend. By doing so, you may discover a flavor you did not know was in your favorite blend.
8. The best foods that go with coffee
If you take food with your coffee, please make an effort to pair your hot cup of coffee with a suitable dish.
Whether you enjoy savory or sweet bites, there are multiple ways to create delicious food and coffee pairings.
- Pastries: If you would like something sweet and delicious, then pair your coffee with a fluffy light pastry.
- Coffee cake: You can never have too much coffee. There is no better way to enjoy your cup of coffee than with coffee cake.
- Chocolate: This is quite a luxurious pairing and enjoyable indulgence.
- Cheese: You can pair cheese and coffee in various ways. Try a light-sweet blend with a soft cheese like ricotta. You could also try a deep dark roast with nutty hard cheese like manchego and parmesan.
- A full English: A full English breakfast and filter coffee are a hard pairing to beat.