Do you want to know the importance of the sitting posture of a baby? Well! It is too much necessary for your kid to sit independently. It is the 1st sign of willingness to start the solids.
The sitting of each kid is not always the same. Some kids commonly sit at the age of 6 while others can’t. If your kid can sit then, he can also eat safely without any issue.
If your kid can sit and feed also, then it is important to ensure his safety. Further, there are many things that you should notice for your kid.
A proper sitting position:
- In proper sitting, your baby can easily keep his head straight and don’t feel tired.
- Your baby can sit at a right angle so that his pelvis is beneath his hip.
- Your baby can keep his upper body in the upright position, and his airway is clear.
- The shoulders of your baby are in front of his bum.
- Your baby can easily move his arm without any restriction.
- Babies can easily move forward, backward, and on both sides without hurdles.
Why is it essential about the posture of a baby?
Your first preference is breathing, the second is keeping your posture maintained, and the third is eating. If you provide support to your baby, he can’t focus on posture during eating.
Then he can’t focus on his meal. There are several activities for toddlers, so; you should help your baby to participate.
Postural recommendations based on age:
- If your baby is six months or 8-9 months old, then you can feed him in a resting chair.
- If your baby is nine months to 16 months old, then you can use a high chair for your baby.
- When you are buying a chair for your baby, then you should remember one rule that is 90-90-90. It means the baby must be 90 degrees at the hip, 90 degrees at the knee, and 90 degrees at the ankles.
- If your baby reaches the age of 16 years, then you can move him from chair to family table. So, he can sit with you and enjoy the meal.
- If you are buying a seat for your baby, then you should buy a seat with firm back support. If you can’t find that type of seat, then you can use some books to provide support.
What metiers can you test to support your baby uphold good posture during meals?
If you are worried that your baby can’t keep his posture in an upright position. Then you should try the following things:
- Don’t use a slipping mat beneath your baby.
- Allow your baby to sit at his foot, so he has 90 degrees at ankles.
- You should also use any supportive material to keep at the baby’s side. You can use a couch, pillows, or something else.
- When you place a tray table in front of your baby. Then make sure that it is between his abdomen and chest.
Stages of development:
The following are the stages of a baby’s development:
Proper alignment and core strength
Firstly, it is important for your baby to properly align his body. When he is eating, then he should keep his head aligned over the shoulder. Further, you should also provide strength to keep your upper body in the upright position. It shows that the airway of your baby is also open.
So, food easily goes the right route rather than going the wrong route. It results in a decrease in blockage.
Unrestricted arm movement
It is important for your baby to easily move right, left, forward, and backward. So, when he sits, then his arm must be in a position where he can easily move without restrictions. This unrestricted movement helps your baby to move forward easily. So, he can reach things where he wants to reach, such as he can find any food for eating.
You should check whether your baby’s foot has some support or not when he sits. You need to keep any support to your baby’s feet when he sits on the chair. It will help him to feel relaxed, so he will focus on eating.
Just imagine if you babysit on a chair that is large enough so that your baby’s foot hangs without support. Then how can he maintain his good posture and core strength? It is a question that you should think about suggested by every Knightsbridge Chiropractic Clinic.
A few tips for making sure this all happens:
The following are the tips that you should notice for your baby’s good posture:
Ensure that your baby’s back is fully in an upright position:
Firstly, you need to feed your child in a straight position. Don’t recline your baby while feeding him because if you will do this. Then food may have stuck into the airway of your baby and caused a problem. Further, your baby will not feel comfortable in this position.
By Mr. Michael Pan, several chairs can keep your baby’s position both recline or upright. But we recommend you select a high chair that supports your baby in an upright situation.
Use any supportive material such as a towel for the baby’s support and protect him from falling:
If your baby sits in any place, whether it is a chair or bed, you should use a supportive thing for his support. When your baby gets tired because of continuous sitting, then wrap a towel around him and allow him to rest.
Make sure that the tray table is between the abdomen and chest of your baby:
If you place a tray in between the abdomen and chest of your baby, then it will help him to easily reach things.
Finally, we have discussed how a good posture helps your baby’s development.
Further, allow your baby to participate in physical activity for kids. It will allow him to keep a good posture in every situation.